Volunteering & Internships
Find all opportunities for volunteering and getting an internship
Volunteering is a great way to help others and the local community, but there are also many benefits for volunteers!
Here are a few reasons to volunteer:
- Update your skills, or learn new ones
- Get involved in your community
- Keep busy in your free time
- Improve your Dutch skills
- A great addition to your CV
- Meet new people and expand your network
- Support a cause you believe in
- Get to know your local area better
- Develop new interests
Want to start volunteering? There are many different types of volunteer work, suitable for all types of skills and areas of interest. Check out the websites below for a range of opportunities.
- ACCESS – this organisation relies on English-speaking international and Dutch volunteers who enjoy helping others adjust to life in the Netherlands.
- Contrast Leiden - a social group for international and Dutch students, which also organises volunteering projects for its members.
- HelpX - a worldwide platform that offers people the chance to select preferred locations and types of work, with a wide variety of options and time periods available.
- Incluzio - a local organisation that offers various possibilities for volunteering. They are currently looking for interpreters, English teachers, and coordinators.
- Meetup - a platform for social groups and clubs offering various meet-up activities for expats, sometimes including volunteering.
- NL voor Elkaar - a platform which matches volunteers with those who need help with everyday tasks, such as DIY jobs or bringing groceries to elderly people. The site is in Dutch, but you can place your offer to help in English (or any other language).
- VoorleesExpress - (for Dutch speakers) an organisation that seeks to provide extra assistance to children from the ages of 2 - 8 who are experiencing language delays. Volunteers can help by reading aloud to the children, playing language games, and supporting the families in the child's language development. It is also possible to volunteer as a coordinator, coach, or organiser.
- Vrijplaats - a local organisation with various projects that offer possibilities for volunteering.
- Workaway - a worldwide platform that offers people the chance to select their preferred locations and type of work (from helping in hostels to volunteering on farms), with commitments ranging from several days to several months.
You could also consider volunteering for organisations you’re already involved in, such as your local sports club or your child’s school.
There are also some cultural institutions that are looking for volunteers. Museum Voorschoten for example is looking for volunteers in all kinds of areas, such as handyman or catering! Some basic level of Dutch would be appreciated, but is not mandatory. Contact the museum to find out about the possibilities!
If your Dutch is sufficient it may be possible to volunteer for foodbanks, charity shops (kringloopwinkels), or at the LUMC.
Our Partners in Volunteering
ACCESS is a not-for-profit organisation supporting the international community in the Netherlands.
Develop skills to participate in society, such as dealing with money, building a network, talent development, digital skills, learning the Dutch language.
Internship at Leiden International Centre
Are you looking for an interesting, international internship in Leiden? Are you a proactive, independent worker? As an intern at Leiden International Centre, you will have the opportunity to contribute directly to the expansion of our non-profit organisation, all whilst developing a wide range of skills and experiences that can help you in your future career.
Leiden International Centre is looking for an intern to start in November 2023!Learn more about being an intern at LIC!