Are you leaving the Netherlands? Learn what to do when you leave the country.

You need to notify the municipality that you will be relocating to another country if you are planning to stay abroad for more than 8 months out of the next 12 months. This does not have to be a continuous period. You must notify the municipality no earlier than 5 days in advance and no later than the day of your departure.

On deregistration, the BRP informs other government bodies like the IND and the Tax and Customs Administration (Belastingdienst) about your new address abroad. If you do not deregister, you will still be charged for taxes and other expenses. You must return your residence permit to the IND before you leave the Netherlands. You can return your residence permit to the IND at any IND desk or by post. Check the IND website for more details. 

Once deregistered from the BRP as a resident, your personal data will move to the non-residents part of the BRP, the Non-residents Records Database (Registratie Niet-ingezetenen - RNI).  You should keep your RNI record up to date, in order to finalize your taxes or to qualify for potential pension income in the future.  

Have you already moved abroad?

You must inform the municipality as soon as possible! In that case, the day of which your notification has been received will count as your relocation date. Submitting in the past is not possible.


Notify your municipality

Leiden Municipality (in English) - by letter or appointment

Leiderdorp Municipality (in Dutch) - by appointment

Voorschoten Municipality (in Dutch) - online with DigiD

Zoeterwoude Municipality (in Dutch) - by appointment

Proof of deregistration  

When you move abroad, you will sometimes have to show proof of deregistration from the Netherlands. Please check with the agency that requires the proof to confirm the specific type of document it requires.  

  • If you come to submit your notice of emigration at the municipality office (on the day of departure or no more than 5 days in advance), you'll receive a written confirmation of “pre-departure declaration”. This document will satisfy customs requirements.  
  • If you come to the municipality office on the day of your departure, you can receive an extract that includes information about your departure. This document also satisfies customs requirements. 
  • If you would like proof of your emigration from the Netherlands after departure, you will need to request an extract from the Non-residents Records Database. This document will be suitable for customs and foreign authorities.  

The M Form - Tax Return

The M Form (Migration Form) is the tax form you must complete the year you move to or from the Netherlands.
The purpose of this form is to declare that you did not live in the Netherlands the whole year.
It is likely you will receive a tax refund.

More information about the M Form
Piles of money on a tax form

Leaving the Netherlands Checklist

More about leaving the Netherlands