Diplomatic officers and employees of international organisations receive a so-called MFA card or Privileged Person's identity card from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Registering at the Personal Record Database (Basisregistratie Personen - BRP) is not mandatory for Privileged Persons. However it is advised, as the Citizen Service Number (Burgerservicenummer - BSN) you receive upon registration is required to arrange all your affairs with Dutch government agencies. For example, you need a BSN to start a job in the Netherlands, to enrol in an educational programme, to open a bank account, to use the health care system and to apply for benefits and pay taxes. 

After receiving your privileged person’s identity card (MFA card) you can make an appointment to register and will need to attend an appointment at the Leiden International Centre in person. In addition to the documents required for all registrations, you will also need to bring your Privileged person's identity card (MFA card) to the appointment.

If family members also wish to register, they will need to be present at the appointment as well.

Find out more about coming to the Leiden region