We are currently looking for an intern to start in February 2024.
Are you looking for an interesting, international internship in Leiden? Are you a proactive, independent worker? As an intern at Leiden International Centre, you will have the opportunity to contribute directly to the expansion of our non-profit organisation, all whilst developing a wide range of skills and experiences that can help you in your future career.
What is Leiden International Centre?
Leiden International Centre (LIC) is a business unit of Leiden&Partners. Leiden&Partners has several business units, another one of which includes Leiden Convention Bureau, which is responsible for marketing the Leiden region as an international convention destination. Leiden International Centre is funded by our local business partners, knowledge institutes, and four municipalities.
We offer (mostly free) services to internationals and their employers in all phases of an international's journey: ‘Coming to, Settling in, Living in, and Leaving’. Assisting internationals, and the companies that hire them, is beneficial for the investment climate, the economy, and the culture in the region.
Internationals can contact Leiden International Centre’s helpdesk for registration (BSN) appointments and also to ask questions on all matters concerning life in the Leiden region. Our website, social media, and newsletters provide a wide variety of information for expats. We also offer a network for internationals to get in touch with each other through free informative and social events. Last but not least, we refer internationals to our trusted business partners who offer services such as financial advice, legal advice, housing, language courses, and more. By providing accessible information, resources, and events, we are working towards ensuring that internationals not only wish to move to the Leiden region, but that they find a new home here.
What will you do?
We are a small team and our interns are integral to Leiden International Centre’s operations. As an intern, you will be given the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, both independently and with the support of your colleagues. Your responsibilities will include researching, marketing, project management, and helping to develop and expand LIC.
Tasks will vary throughout your internship and will include:
• Updating our social media channels with posts for our different target groups (expats, employers, and our business partners).
• Researching information, events, articles, and blogs that are interesting and relevant to expats.
• Keeping in touch with Leiden International Centre's business partners and helping to build a strong professional partnership with them.
• Website management: the CMS needs to be updated regularly with partner information, news, and events.
• Co-organising online and in-person events and information sessions, such as the Welcome to Leiden webinar and the monthly Meet & Mingle. Check out our Events page to learn more about these events!
You will not be expected to have prior experience in these tasks and will be given training and support throughout your internship. If you are required to complete a research project for your studies, we can facilitate this (and have done so successfully in the past).
There are also opportunities to assist at our Helpdesk which provides information to newly arrived internationals. This is an excellent chance to meet the people that we assist, and to learn more about what the relocation process can be like.
What do we need?
• Minimum of HBO educational level, or above (this can include students currently enrolled in an HBO programme). We will consider applicants from a range of different programmes. Previous interns have had backgrounds that include European Studies, International Relations, Business and Management, and Religious Studies. However, this internship is especially relevant to students of International Business and Management; International Studies; Facility Management; Marketing and Communication; and European Studies.
• You are available for at least 32 hours/4 days per week, and for at least 4 months.
• You live within commuting distance of Leiden.
• You are proactive, flexible, and results oriented.
• You are independent and organised.
• You have a hands-on mentality.
• You have an international mindset.
• You are fluent in English (required).
• You have some Dutch language skills (appreciated but not mandatory).
What's in it for you?
You get to work in a non-profit company which is continuously expanding, where governmental services meet a business mindset. We will give you a lot of freedom, responsibility, and the opportunity to learn a range of new skills.
Leiden International Centre is part of Leiden&Partners and the office is located in the Handelshuis (above Leiden's Tourist Information). This is a fun and informative environment in which interns are highly valued. There will be at least one other intern in the Leiden International Centre team working alongside you, as well as several more working in the office for the other Leiden&Partners business units.
This internship offers you an opportunity to improve your Dutch language skills and connect with Dutch employees working in the Handelshuis. It is an excellent chance to both learn about, and integrate into, Dutch culture.
Many of our former interns have found full-time positions after completing their internship (both within and outside the organisation). We are happy to support your career development and provide references for future job applications.
We offer a monthly salary of €250 for 4 days per week, or a monthly salary of €300 for 5 days per week.
We recruit interns 3-4 times per year. We are currently looking for an intern to start in February 2024. The start and end date will be mutually agreed upon with the candidates. We’re looking for an internship of at least four months.
If you are curious about what other internship vacancies are available at Leiden&Partners, then why not take a look below at all the current vacancies? Leiden&Partners is currently looking for Communications & PR, Secretarial, Marketing, and Front Office interns.